Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a non-invasive and effective hair restoration treatment for both men and women. It involves utilizing your blood's own growth factors to stimulate hair regrowth, enhance hair density, and prevent hair loss. This articles explores how PRP works for hair restoration, what to expect during the procedure, and why it is an effective treatment for hair loss and prevention.
How PRP Works for Hair Restoration
PRP is rich in growth factors, which promote formation of new blood vessels, induce collagen production, and stimulate cell proliferation. These effects collectively improve the overall health and vitality of hair follicles leading to thicker, fuller hair. Lets break this down further:
1. Regrows hair. PRP activates dormant hair follicles, promoting them to enter an active growth stage, leading to hair regrowth.
2. Increases density of existing hair follicles. The growth factors in PRP promote an increase in thickness of existing hair strands, leading to greater volume.
3. Prevents Hair Loss. PRP combats hair thinning and loss overtime by improving the health of the individual hair follicles.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
The process of PRP for hair restoration can be broken down into 4 simple steps:
1. Blood sample. A small sample of blood is taken from your arm.
2. Centrifugation. The sample of blood is spun in a centrifuge for 10 minutes. The centrifuge separates the platelet-rich plasma from the other blood components.
3. Separation of PRP. Once the centrifugation process is complete, the platelet-rich plasma is extracted and drawn into syringes.
4. Injection. The PRP is skillfully and carefully injected into areas of the scalp experiencing thinning or hair loss.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
I recommend starting with 3 treatments spaced out by 4 weeks. After the initial 3 sessions, the treatment frequency becomes more personalized, but I generally recommend to continue treatments every 4-6 months.
When Will I See Results?
Results may become visible as soon as 30 days after your first treatment. That said, it may take several sessions before significant improvement is noticed.
PRP therapy offers a non-surgical and highly effective solution for hair regrowth, density, and overall hair health. The risk of adverse reaction or complication is minimal, as PRP is extracted from your own blood. It is a relatively quick and straightforward procedure that can deliver life changing results, and is a treatment I recommend for both men and women dealing with mild to moderate hair thinning.
Sarah-Kate Rems, NP